My next build is a 1/144 scale Saturn V. My goal is to complete it before the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11. But, it won’t be depicting Apollo 11, instead it will be built as the Saturn V for Apollo 15. It was the first Saturn V that flew without any ullage motors on the S-II interstage. A move that was taken because experience had shown that they were not really needed and it also allowed for more payload on the Apollo spacecraft.
Anyway, I’m going to be using parts from the old Monogram kit as well as an old Airfix kit that were in my stash. I didn’t like the aft skirt section on the Monogram kit so I’ll be using the one in the Airfix kit. I also didn’t like the details on the S-II on the Airfix kit so the main body of the Saturn V will be using the Monogram parts. I won’t be building out the S-II thrust structure or the S-IVB thrust structure because both kits are terrible in this area. If I were to have the stages separable, then I’d have to get some 3D printed parts to fix the problems, but I don’t want to take that expense this time.
I will also be using the RealSpace Models Apollo Spacecraft update kit. It will replace the SLA, CSM and LES with much more accurate parts. I’ve used that set before on my Saturn IB build.
Here are a few pictures to get started. Note the old boxes of the kits. Yes, they’ve been in my stash for a long time.