1/72 Dragon Apollo 11 Lunar Approach Update 8

The Alclad chrome paint was not curing properly. It couldn't be touched without leaving prints or damaging the paint surface. So I'm going to have to clean the Command Module up and re-spray it. Part of it may have been me. I painted it at 20psi and it is recommended to use 15psi. I also … Continue reading 1/72 Dragon Apollo 11 Lunar Approach Update 8

1/72 Dragon Apollo 11 Lunar Approach Update 7

While the paint was curing I started on the Steerable High Gain Antenna. I painted the PE dishes NATO Black. The mast was painted Vallejo Silver and the rest was left primer white. I then took some 32 gauge wire and cut some to the length needed bent them to run from the SM/SLA Electrical … Continue reading 1/72 Dragon Apollo 11 Lunar Approach Update 7

1/72 Dragon Apollo 11 Lunar Approach Update 6

I took a bit of a detour before continuing on with the Service Module. I decided to go ahead and build the docking probe. It consists of four parts. In the photo below the parts are assembled from left to right. After assembling them you get a pretty nice representation of the Apollo docking probe. … Continue reading 1/72 Dragon Apollo 11 Lunar Approach Update 6

1/72 Dragon Apollo 11 Lunar Approach Update 5

I glued the rear bulkhead to the Service Module. The rear bulkhead does not cover the full circle of the cylindrical SM. To fix that I glued on a strip of 0.040 x 0.010 strip stock to fill the gap and then sanded off any extra. Next I folded the SM/SLA Electrical Umbilical Disconnect PE … Continue reading 1/72 Dragon Apollo 11 Lunar Approach Update 5

1/72 Dragon Apollo 11 Lunar Approach Update 4

Next up for the Service Module (SM) are the details from the New-Ware set. I started with the PE parts for the RCS panels. You can see that I filled the recessed lines that Dragon used. I had to fill them since their lines were slightly larger than the PE parts. The PE RCS panels … Continue reading 1/72 Dragon Apollo 11 Lunar Approach Update 4