50th Anniversary Saturn V Build Complete

Clear coating is done.  The stand is complete.  The project is done. Here is the final update.

I sanded the wooden base block and sprayed it with gray primer.  Then after that had cured, I drew three chord lines on it.  Then I drew a perpendicular bisector for each of those chords.  Where the bisectors intersect is the center of the circle. You can see that my bisectors were just a bit off, but since I drew three, I could average the difference and come out with a hole that was pretty close to the center.

I then painted on two coats of flat black paint, then when that had cured I put on a coat of Pledge Clear Floor Finish. Then I put the custom Apollo 15 decal that I had printed on my Alps printer.  When the decal had dried I then put on a final coat of Pledge Clear Floor Finish.  Above is a close up of the custom decal I made.  The colors look better in person than the picture shows.  The blue chevron is actually navy blue even though the picture makes it look black.

Now SA-510 Apollo 15, is all assembled and on her stand.  She’s ready to take her place in my 1/144 US Manned Launchers rocket garden.  Below are a few photos of the details on the finished model.

She now takes her place in my now complete 1/144 rocket garden of all US manned launchers.  Below are a couple of pics.  That is 1/144 scale IMR ISS model in the background.  The members of the garden are Apollo 7 Saturn IB, STS-31 Discovery, Apollo 15 Saturn V, Gemini 5 Titian II, Freedom 7 Mercury Redstone, and Friendship 7 Mercury Atlas.  Those models were built over the course of about 6 years.  It took me a lot longer to build a project when I was working.  Now that I’m retired I have a bit more time to build.

This has really been a fun project.  Next up is to finish my 1/144 Voskhod, that is about 90% done.  After that I think I’ll do a 1/144 2001 Discovery or 1/72 Millennium Falcon for a change of pace before I do my next real space subject.  I have decided that the next Saturn V I do will have the stages separated and I think it will be displayed horizontally to show all the cool engine details.

I’ll be offline for a while since I’m having surgery for a detached retina.  But after that, I’ll be back at the bench working on the next project.

50th Anniversary Saturn V Build Update 12

I got the silver painted on the bottom of the S-IC.  It turned out pretty well. I’ve now started applying the decals to the S-IC.  Once again, some very tiny detailed decals.  The first photo below is a close up of applying one of the forward skirt vent decals over the vent warning decal.  You can get a feel for how small some of these decals are here.  I’m zoomed in pretty tight, even the toothpick looks rough at this level of zoom.  I’ve completed the S-IC decals. Here is a look at some of the details.

I’ll be putting on a clear coat to protect the decals, then dull coat to take the shine off.  Once that is finished I’ll attach the F-1’s and final assembly will be complete.  All that will remain is to put it on the stand I’ve made.