Well I ordered a detail set from New-Ware for the Saturn V build. While I’m waiting on delivery (I’m expecting delays in customs due to shutdown) I thought I’d start on a 1/144 Voshkod model. I’ll be using the Apex kit as my base and adding a conversion set I bought from Rho-models a LONG time ago.
You can see from the pictures that I have already attached the capsule section to the second stage. Both are resin parts. I’ll be using the photo-etch that is included in the conversion set for the interstage web instead of the plastic one that comes with the Apex kit. The plastic they use is very brittle and hard to bend into a curve.
I have an Airfix Vostok kit and I’ll be using the engine bells from that kit to upgrade the Apex kit. The Apex engine bells are simple cones, while the Airfix bells have at least a bit of detail to them. I will also try using the Airfix cross brace parts instead of the badly detailed Apex ones. I also have some photo-etch ones that came in the Rho-models conversion kit. I’ll use those if the Airfix parts don’t work out.
Besides gluing the resin parts together, I’ve also put together the four Stage 0 boosters. I’ll leave the engine bells off until I get it all painted. I’ve done some initial cleaning up of the build components, but I’ll still have to do more once I get everything primed. Now to start on the core stage and put in some additional items that will support it on its base stand.
One thought on “Voshkod While I’m Waiting”