It at first seemed that not much would be done this week. The last of the drywall touch-up needed to get finished and then the paint needed a second coat. The granite was not going to be ready until next week. Or so we thought.
On Thursday we got a call about the granite. It seemed that the top slab that we looked at when we chose it was not representative of the slabs under it, even though they were consecutively numbered. We went back to the granite yard and looked. Sure enough, the other slabs were way darker and had an overall orange cast to them.
That was not what we wanted. So now we had to go through all the granite slabs again and try to find one that was acceptable. Of course there were none that looked like the original one we had chosen. Finally we found one that we felt could work. It had more brown in it than we had originally wanted but it did have a nice pattern and it had colors we could work with.
I phoned Jeff, our contractor, and told him we had selected a new set of slabs. He said that they would get them sent to the fabricator that afternoon and they’d get started on them as soon as we had a new pattern drawn up.
On Friday morning the fabricator came out and drew up a new pattern (this was required because these new slabs were not as long and our original slabs). Unbelievably, on my way home from work Jeff called and said that the slabs were done and he was wondering if they could be installed on Saturday morning. I said, sure.
Saturday they came out and installed the slabs. It took all morning and part-way through the afternoon, but they got them installed. They will come back out on Monday to finish the sink cuts and then they will have to be out again when the cooktop is delivered so they can make the cutout for it.
I think it looks pretty good. In some of the pictures it looks like the front edge is a lot lighter than the rest of the granite, but that is just an artifact of the flash. Most of the flash is reflecting back off the edge and into the camera.