50th Anniversary Saturn V Build Update 2

More progress has been made on the Saturn V build.  I have removed all the raised detail from the aft skirt heat shield.  That all had to go in order to install the brass part from New-Ware.  The brass part is very nice and has much better detail that what was on the original piece.  After removing the raised detail I got to thinking about how I was going to mount the model on its wooden base.  I have used steel rod in the past and that works well.  All I have to do is figure out how to accommodate the rod in the base of the model.  I am using 1/8 in brass tubing and that will slide over the steel rod that is in the base.  I used some paper tubes and epoxy to cover the hole where the center engine will be mounted.  After epoxying the tubes in place and filling them with epoxy, I drilled an 1/8 in hole from the center engine through the tube and out the top of the aft skirt part.  I then used JB Weld and put the 1/8 in brass in the drilled hole and about 3/16 in out the bottom.  The extra out the bottom will aid in mounting the center engine.

After doing that I decided that having a 1/8 tube projecting from the heat shield would be a great way to mount all the engines.  You can see the 1/8 in plastic tubes that I epoxied in place for each engine.

The pictures show the rescribed ribbing where I sanded the hump down.  You can also see that I have started adding some of the photo etched (PE) details to the aft skirt.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.