50th Anniversary Saturn V Build Update 11

Time for another update. It is getting closer to the end for this project. I have to keep my excitement level in check so I don’t make any stupid mistakes in a rush to finish.

First here is a look at the S-IC and S-II with the black paint applied. Turned out well, just a few minor touch ups to be made. The very busy area near the systems tunnel was where I was apprehensive about the masking, but I like the way it turned out.

The engine fairings were hard to get into a proper curve. I was surprised that I didn’t have any seepage on the holddowns that are at the boundary between the black and white.  The busy area of the interstage was tough to mask but it looks like it did its job.

Here is the bottom of the S-IC where I have started masking for the sliver that will cover the bottoms of the engine fairings. The flexible Tamiya tape is at the bottom of the masking area. It makes masking curved areas a little easier. It is harder to get it to conform to the details but if I’m careful it should work fine. The base has been masked. The inside of the fairings needs to be silver as well.

Now all I have to do is wait for the weather to cooperate. The rain this week has been crazy. Waking up at 5:30 am to the sound of the tornado sirens going off is not the way I like to start the day. At least we are not about to be flooded like some of the folks to the north of us.

I applied the decals to the S-II stage. Not many to apply but they sure add to the the visual of the stage.

After studying a bunch of S-IVB photos I picked a color for some of the antennas on the IU. I went with Testors Model Master Jet Exhaust.  Now it is done and ready for a clear coat to protect the decals from the dullcoat.

I applied Bare Metal Foil to the SM.  It is not a perfect application but I think I’ll keep it.  I also started applying more of the tiny decals.  I didn’t apply all that were provided.  If I had gone microscopic and added more detail to the SM then I would have applied all the decals.  The CM-SM umbilical cover is not foiled.  That was brush painted with Testors Model Master Chrome Enamel, which turned out to be a good match for the Bare Metal Foil.  I don’t know exactly what shade the foil is.  It is from a sheet I bought about 15 years ago and it was not labeled as to a specific shade.  It does appear to be a close match to what they now call Matte Aluminum.  The Q-Ball area at the top of the rocket is painted with Testors Model Master Steel enamel.

Now the spacecraft section, S-IVB and S-II are ready for clearcoat to protect the decals.

More to come…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.