I have complete installing the pod bay doors. They required some filling and sanding as they are just slightly smaller than the opening in the command sphere. I cemented the doors in and made the frames flush with the bottom of the opening. The kept the gap at the top of the opening. I inserted narrow strips of sheet styrene to fill as much of the gap as possible. This was then cemented in with Tenax 7R. The tiny bit of gap that was left was filled in with some small dabs of gap filling CA.
Next came masking of the command sphere halves. The lower half only needed to have its glue tab masked to give a better bonding surface later on. The upper half needed to also have its glue tab masked, but also the cockpit window opening.
I also started work on the light boxes for the pod bay section. I started by using some .010 sytrene sheet cut to form the shape and size of light box I needed. The sides of the pod bay used rectangular boxes and the top needed a pie shaped piece. I then sprayed the inside with gloss black paint and then checked for light leaks. I had touched up any light leaks and then painted the inside chrome silver. After that had dried for a day, I cut out small rectangles for the LED’s to be installed. I tacked them in place with some white glue.
When the white glue dried, I mixed some 5-minute epoxy and then put a dab over each LED and also a spot on the wire leads for each LED. The extra spot of epoxy will act as a strain relief so that when twisting and moving the wires around it won’t put as much pressure on the LED’s. After the epoxy set, I painted the backside of the LED’s with some chrome silver and when that was dry, I applied some gloss black to keep any light from escaping. After that I, tacked the boxes in place on the pod bay with some Plasti-Zap CA glue.
The next thing to do was to mix up some JB Weld epoxy to permanently attach the light boxes.
That’s it for now. Next up should be building the light boxes for the cockpit. Thanks for looking.