I know I haven’t updated in a while, and yes, the kitchen is done. I’ll post on that soon. But for now I have a story to tell about our new dishwasher.
We bought a GE Profile Dishwasher PDWT480RSS because of a rebate offer. If we bought 5 appliances together then we got a nice $500 rebate. Our remodeler installed the unit rather than Hahn, where we bought it.
We were able to start using it a little before the rest of the kitchen was finished. At first it seemed that everything was working fine, but we were not using it much since the kitchen wasn’t finished and we were still using a lot of paper and plastic. I would usually run it just before going to bed, so that the next morning the dishes were done. Then one Saturday afternoon I ran it and noticed that there was a small dripping leak at the bottom left side of the door.
I called Hahn and they had someone come out to check it. Yep, sure enough it leaks. So he checks the door over and can’t see anything wrong with it. Just in case, he replaces the door seal. It still leaks. He calls GE and they tell him that it is probably a small crack in one of the spray arms. So he orders a new spray arm (they don’t have spares in stock).
A week later, after I have to call and find out what the status is, they come out and replace the lower spray arm. Guess what, it still leaks. Another call to GE and now he’s going to replace all the spray arms (there are three in this unit). Of course, they aren’t in stock so he’ll have to order them. They’ll call as soon as the parts come in.
Another week goes by (actually more than a week, since I’m busy with other things at home and work), I call them to find out what the deal is. “The part should be in tomorrow. They’ll call tomorrow and set up a time.”, they say. Anyway, he finally comes out and replaces all the spray arms. It is still leaking! He has brought his supervisor with him this time. The supervisor tells me that this should satisfy GE that the dishwasher is defective and they will replace it with a new one. Great!
Well, week four have gone by. The upper cabinets have started going up. They would be complete, except for a snafu on the corner unit. Apparently, the cherry sides did not make it into the order. They are on their way and should be here next Tuesday. That prevents the last upper from going up. They will need to pull the corner unit out to attach the sides, then the unit can go back in and the last upper can be attached.
There is a small amount of adjusting that needs to be done to the drawers under the cooktop to get them to clear the gas pipes at the wall. The hood cabinet that will cover the vent pipe should be here soon as well.
The under cabinet lighting has started to go in. It’s not all hooked up yet because the last upper isn’t in. The over the cabinet lighting is not done for the same reason.
There are a couple of appliances that need to be adjusted to fit properly, but that should be no problem. There are a couple of warped doors that will get replaced as well.
The pantry should be done soon. That will give the pantry the same look as the rest of the kitchen.
I think we’re down to the home stretch. It is really looking great!
Well, week 2 is over. The ceramic tile floor is in, the base cabinets are in, and the first coat of paint is on. The floor turned out great. Our sample that we had was only 12×12, these tiles are larger and have more character than our sample. I would have liked a pattern of three sizes on the floor, but this tile looks really good and was less expensive than a pattern would have been.
The counter top pattern was supposed to have been made on Friday. I don’t know if that happened or not. I’ll have to check on Tuesday. If it didn’t, then the counter top probably won’t go in until week 4.
The oven cabinet was supposed to go in flush with the wall where the intercom is. Unfortunately that edge is not plumb (of course, why would I have expected anything else?). So they are going to try to come up with a good solution for that. We’ll see.
It’s the end of the first week of the kitchen remodel. The old cabinets are gone, the plumbing has been done, the electrical has been started, the new gas line for the cook top has been put in, and the drywall work is almost finished.
Well we’re going to do it. We’ve got the line of credit and picked a builder. We went with Kitchens by Jim Thompson. They started work on 5/11. These are some before pictures. I took these so that we can better tell what a difference it will be.
The main things are that the dropped ceiling will be gone, the cabinets over the peninsula will be removed and the fridge will move from the north wall to the west wall next to the oven. I’ll add updates as things change.