BanDai 1/72 Y-Wing Build Final

I went back to the main fuselage and painted a few pipes with copper. I think it helps to bring attention to the amount of piping that is on this section of the kit.

The next thing to do on the Y-Wing was to build the engine nacelles. Once that was done I started applying decals. The trickiest decal was the one that went on the right nacelle. It had a couple of raised details as well as being over a ribbed area.

It took a lot of Solavaset and some careful pin pricks to get the decals to yield. MicroSol just wasn’t strong enough. Eventually they laid down well.

I was then able to apply the decals to the nose section.

I assembled the main sub-assemblies and then applied the remaining decals to the fuselage.

Then is was time to fit the final pipes.

Then the weathering could begin in earnest. I had already weathered the engine exhausts and the guide vanes. I applied a black wash to the whole fuselage and most of the engines. Then I added the panel lines and I blackened the torpedo ports. I also did some sponge work to simulate paint chipping in a few areas.

Here are some photos of the completed model.

This was a fun build. It didn’t take a long time and also didn’t need any additional details. The finished product looks nice and will take it’s place alongside the Millennium Falcon and X-Wing.

Thanks for looking. I have a couple of new project planned. I’ll probably be starting them after the Thanksgiving holiday.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.